Monday, November 06, 2006

They're under Stalins' orders...Red flag flashing...

It is the 60th Anniversary since my great horse, Russia, won the Melbourne Cup. My love of anniversaries has inspired me to give some very important, but probably futile instructions. (much like my ruling days, but we'll keep that to ourselves).

Picking the winner of a horse race in my day was a simple affair.
I would look over all the horses in the race, decide on which one I wanted to win and that horse would win.
Without fail.
These days it is much more difficult to create the desired outcome. The only fun I have these days is trying to blindly rely on luck and fragmented logic. A bit like a S11 conspiracy nut.

Well here goes.
This years cup seems to be one of the more tighter fields.
Makybe Diva was pretty much a certainty the last few years,taking the fun out of the punting. This year should see a cluttered field and competition for postion will be rough. I would like to think that experience will count, but I think it will open up opportunities for some outsiders.

Oh crap, I'm just talking crap!

I like On a Jeune, it's Geelong Cup run wasn't brilliant, but will appreciate the longer distance and was runner-up last year.

Pop Rock is one of the two Japanese Horses and is good over the distance. Did not get a great run at Caulfield and will improve on that.

Geordieland is a UK stayer, who recently ran second to equal favorite Yaets at the Two mile. He drops down four Kilos and isn't here for a laugh.

My big tip is the rank outsider Zabeat. I have linked a story from NZ, that explains that the horse might only like big occasions. The bloody horse is a Hustler!!

I've gone a couple of bucks each-way on each and put them in a box trifecta.
Low investment, possible high return.
But most likely, will do my balls like everyone else.

Good Luck and happy punting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think Zabeat ran last!