Thursday, October 05, 2006

Media Watch is in the Barrier, Red Light flashing...and they're off! ( You're telling me, they're right off.

Ten years ago, ABC's "Media Watch" was compulsory viewing for me. Stuart Littlemore and his constant smug digs at the likes of John Laws and Alan Jones, was great comedy. Of course the comedy was akin to "Yes, Minister". Littlemores' dry delivery matched the stories of journalistic bloopers.

Ten years on and "Media Watch" has become the worst current affairs show on the box.
The controversy unveiled these days, are insipid exposes of small time newspapers who sell advertising with a complementary page 3 article.

Ooooh! Lets call corporate affairs! I'm writing to my local member!
Not Likely.

Either I have become much smarter in ten years, ( I doubt it, considering the brain cells I have tortured), or "Media Watch" has evolved into a dumbed down junket for journalists who the ABC can't sack. The fact that the Terry Lane scandal was only idly touched upon, and only under pressure from a barrage of complaints, is indicative of its complete lack of purpose.

On top of all that is the annoying work of the presenter. I think her name is Monica Attard. I'm not sure because she annoys me so much, my brain refuses to acknowledge her existance.
She has tried to maintain the "Media Watch" tradition of aloof, bordering on smug, presentation. It comes out as the most grindingly annoying attempt at dry comedy since, since, since?...well lets just say Peter Costello looks like Seinfeld compared to this ABC smugarse.

But I digress.

While waiting for my favorite TV show to come on, ( Trailer Park Boys ) I checked out "Media Watch" to see how bad it was this week. Why I torture myself like this I don't know, but it does give me something to bag on the blog.
Anyway, Monotone Attart was winding herself into a slow smug frenzy about the up coming spring racing carnival. The big controvesy was apparently that The Herald Sun was using threats against The Melbourne Racing Club for switching allegance to The Age.
Obviously Monocole Affart and her researchers have never been to a Racetrack. They would probably step into a TAB on Melbourne Cup day. That's their extent of their racing industry knowledge. But of course that didn't stop them from making a deliberate, biased, grudge driven attack on the Herald Sun. It was obvious the whole segment was designed to rub the Herald Sun's Nose into the dirt and to get the boot in.

Now all is fair in love and journalism.
I say good luck to The Age for capturing the Limelight at Caulfield, the Home of the MRC. But the MRC did the wrong thing by their long term associate in the Herald Sun. The Herald Suns' main beef was the silence involved with the sudden change of allegiance. The Herald Sun threatened no one, but merely "cracked the shits" at losing its association.
That's Business for you.

But why am I upset?
Well I actually follow the horses all year round.
As a punter it is important for me to know form.
Where do I find form?
In a form guide.
Who has the best Form Guide?
The Herald Sun.
Which paper has a shit form guide and has nothing but photos of second rate celebrities and second rate wanna be models?
THE BLOODY AGE!!!
THE BLOODY AGE!!!

( Deep breath )

My next fear is the bastardisation of Horse Racing by the Latte trendies.
It happened with AFL and they are trying it on with Horse Racing.
The Herald Sun, while an insipid rag in reality, has dedicated itself to accurate, no fuss, sport coverage. The Age covers Sport with a soft cock edge that makes me puke.

( Deep Breath )

Anyway, I'll calm down and just say..."Media Watch" must get to the guts of a story and understand what they are dabbling in. They obviously have ignored the Herald Suns' dedication to Sport and focused on mudslinging for the sheer pleasure of it. "Media Watch" has become an irrelevant program and seems to be run by a bunch of Bitchy schoolkids.

AXE IT!!!

AXE IT NOW!!!

Ah, I'll just take a valium and lie down now. Don't worry about me' I'll be fine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If the racing industry hadn't been hijacked by the inept managerial class hatched by universities, two-thirds of pokies in Victoria would be junked. It must be the simplest message in the world to sell: If you're gonna gamble, you can't beat the atmosphere, traditions and fellowship of track punting. But no, some goog thinks bringing Paris Hilton to the Melbourne Cup is a worthier marketing strategy.
Heh-heh, Trailer Park Boys is up there in the top three with me, too.
Cheers, Slatts.