Tuesday, October 10, 2006

World Tour Continues. Bangladesh.

I don't really know too much about Bangladesh.

All I know is that it floods all the time, killing thousands each time.
It used to be called East Pakistan.
It is a predominantly Moslem country.
The Capital is Dacca.
They have problems with poverty.

But, most importantly. they play cricket!
And the National coach is ex-Victorian batsman Dav Whatmore!

Many Australians poo-pooed the idea of letting Bangladesh becoming a full fledged Cricket nation.
Many claimed that they were not good enough to be a full test playing nation.
But I fully support Bangladesh becoming a Cricket nation. It is important they get a chance to play high ranked nations, even though they get thrashed more often than not. Their latest effort against batting wizards Sri lanka was a good effort. They are constantly finding new talent and in time will get better.

A while back they stunned the cricket world by upsetting the world number 1, Australia, in a one day match in England.
Australian fans were in disbelief and annoyed. I was very happy.

I think Cricket is a great game and I wish more countries played it. The game is a great bridge between the Islamic, Hindu and Western world. The pleasure I have in the back of a Taxi Cab talking with my Sub-Continent brothers about the greatest game on earth is one of my secret pleasures.
I just wish the Yanks would lift their game and get up to world standard. They don't know what they are missing out on.

Imagine what the US heart and mind campaign in Afghanistan would be like, if the US Marines got out a bat and ball and started a quick street game?
The Taliban would be reduced to nothing in no time.

So Hooray! for Bangladeshi cricket and may the world embrace it.

Now if only the North Koreans could start playing...

No comments: